It just seems that while the radio industry pivots to podcasting, the folks at SiriusXM are building a stronger platform that will co-exist or one day supersede even their satellite radio business.
Last week parent Liberty Media – yes, the same people moving in on taking over control of iHeart’ 850+ terrestrial stations – plopped down $75 million to take a stake in SoundCloud, the world’s largest open audio platform.
Liberty sees an opportunity to spread its influence beyond the 35 million paid subscribers who take the satellite service.
The Liberty move is potentially breathtaking with direct impact on terrestrial radio and the lucrative streaming market.
Few broadcasters understand their strategy but it presents a clear and present danger to radio.
- Full Disclosure About Entercom “Furloughs”
- Saga Guarantees Sales Commissions
- Cumulus Furloughs Likely to be Long
- Mass Entercom Firings Starting Today
- iHeart 90-Day Furloughs Could Be Permanent
- Townsquare RIFs 65, Concerns for Digital
- iHeart Suspend Benefits, Entercom Fires Part-Timers
- Low on Money, iHeart Readies More Mass “Dislocations”
- Lee Abrams: AM/FM Slowly Destructing
- Cumulus Teetering on Another Bankruptcy