It just seems that while the radio industry pivots to podcasting, the folks at SiriusXM are building a stronger platform that will co-exist or one day supersede even their satellite radio business.
Last week parent Liberty Media – yes, the same people moving in on taking over control of iHeart’ 850+ terrestrial stations – plopped down $75 million to take a stake in SoundCloud, the world’s largest open audio platform.
Liberty sees an opportunity to spread its influence beyond the 35 million paid subscribers who take the satellite service.
The Liberty move is potentially breathtaking with direct impact on terrestrial radio and the lucrative streaming market.
Few broadcasters understand their strategy but it presents a clear and present danger to radio.
- iHeart’s Plan to Take 100% of Local Buys
- Larkin’s Audacy Cuts
- Audacy’s Unspoken Plan to Avoid Bankruptcy
- The Cox Radio Sale Finalists
- The Mother of All Audacy Expense Cuts
- iHeart Revenue Wins at Audacy’s Expense
- The Big New Revenue Source Cumulus is Hiding
- Audacy Faces Bankruptcy Next Year
- Details of Apollo Cox Selloff Revealed
- Apollo Explores Selling Cox Radio