Even hourly airplay on Clear Channel hit stations couldn’t prevent Madonna’s “Give Me All Your Luvin’” from being a flop. Forget the Super Bowl.
This new corporate payola – “you give us a partnership and we give you the world” should be prosecuted in court. It’s worse than djs or PDs taking payola.
But, there is more to the Madonna-Clear Channel flop than meets the ears.
If you are a subscriber, thank you for joining our group. Just click through and unlock the content.
If you’ve been thinking about subscribing and would like to access this story, let me tell you what you will get.
1. What they are saying in the UK about Madonna’s first studio album in years even before she launces a worldwide tour. Ouch!
2. Why Bob Pittman who could never beat the giant WABC in New York when he was at rival WNBC is making the same mistake as Programmer in Chief of Clear Channel.
3. So Madonna has a stiff – does that mean that from now on radio stations have to play it in return for favors?
4. Why playing Madonna every hour on the hour is about as cool as Mitt Romney saying he is against ObamaCare every time he opens his mouth.
5. And speaking of uncool – how Bob Pittman is killing program directors at Clear Channel who know how to program.
The answers begin here.
If you would like to read this story, have access to my entire archive (1,400 pieces) and get daily email delivery, click “read more” for your choices.
The smartest, safest newstip network – 100% anonymity guaranteed – NewsTip Hotline
Next Media Solutions Lab is January 30-31, 2013 at The Phoenician in Scottsdale, AZ.
This book is not about radio – it is about your human potential. Read a chapter of “Out of Bad Comes Good – The Advantages of Disadvantages” here. Buy the paperback or download now for under $9.99 here.
Talk to me privately here.
Converse with me on Twitter.
Connect on Facebook.
- Why Are Spotify & the Record Labels Getting into Podcasting?
- The Westwood One Dilemma
- Entercom & Cumulus Outsourcing
- Should Radio Be Rebranded Audio
- Summit Media as a Potential Buyer
- The Projected Effect of Podcasting on Radio Listening
- The Cumulus Leftovers
- Entercom’s Cost Cutting
- iHeart’s New Beginning
- Entercom Programming Cutbacks