In a Midwest market very recently, Cumulus paid a 50% commission to one of the top barter and remnant agencies to secure a buy.
For years, barter and trade have been rearing its ugly head in radio at the hands of desperate radio groups looking to grab whatever ad dollars they can even at the overall expense of the industry.
All of this in a boom economy!
Can you imagine what would happen to radio if an economic downturn feared by economists currently actually kicked in?
So right now, trade and remnant advertising is hitting new highs or should we say new lows.
The rules are being re-written on the fly and one gigantic change that will make matters absolutely worse has taken off with a vengeance.
- The New Formats Young Audiences Crave
- The Berner Board Battle at Cumulus
- Phase 3 Entercom Cutbacks
- Entercom’s Big Little Lies
- The Fate of the Big 3 Record Labels
- The Cumulus Debt-Reduction Plan
- Townsquare’s a Takeover Target
- Cutbacks On Deck for Entercom
- Katz Strong-arming Stations
- Panic at Entercom