Take a close look at these trend killers:
• Radio doesn’t earn 8% of its revenue from digital. Here’s the real number.
• The average radio station is not worth 6-8 times cash flow. The correct multiple is this.
• Lady Gaga sold a million albums the first week Born This Way was released. But, guess what all the other albums on the Billboard chart did the very same week.
• Text messaging is skyrocketing, right? Not so fast. I’ve got news of the first decline in text messaging in 10 years and what it means to broadcasters. This is major.
• Apple’s plan to turn off your iPhone at concerts, movies and live events.
• Anti-sexting iPhones. Too late for Anthony Weiner. Just in time for Lindsay Lohan. But would you believe that Apple didn’t win this patent to protect consumers? It is designed to protect broadcasters. Here’s why.
This is my latest reconnaissance report on potential repercussions for the future of radio and records.
If you’ve been thinking about subscribing, this is a great story to start with.
If you would like to read this story, have access to my entire archive (over 1,300 pieces) and get daily email delivery, click “read more” for your choices.