(Make last minute reservations to attend my January 27 Media Solutions Lab – info, hotels and a discount await you here).
BIA/Kelsey says there is “enough revenue and enough opportunity” to attract Google.
Digital dollars are coming to take you away ha-haaa! – to paraphrase the Napoleon XIV song from 1966.
Google has big plans and there are more major digital players who will put the full court local press on during the next 12 months (I’ll name them).
In this article you, you will learn:
1. Why major financial analysts think 2011 is the year large digital platforms like Google will target radio.
2. The 3 major radio groups that have a chance to survive the digital onslaught. I will tell you who they are and will give you some context as to why.
3. What radio’s biggest problem is – it’s a six-letter word and unless local operators wake up and change things, they are going to see their terrestrial dollars languish while digital interlopers walk off with more of their local business.
4. The one way local radio stations can put a lock on local business – at a healthy ad premium – if it does this one thing. In fact, radio used to do it, ten years ago but has lost its way. Here’s how to get it back and protect against Google.
5. The high price of underestimating the new digital – social networking. For example, do you know what the fastest growing social network is after Facebook and why it is important to radio? You will.
6. The one thing radio is currently doing that will absolutely not work in the future. In fact, it plays right into the hands of digital competitors. Can you guess what this critical thing is and why it is so deadly to radio?
7. What local advertisers increasingly want that radio cannot give them.
8. My 3-point game plan for blocking digital media companies from draining off previously exclusive local radio advertising.
This article is about the fundamental change that is happening now and will grow during 2011 in local advertising sales. Radio either gets it and adjusts or companies like Google come in and start siphoning off radio’s financial lifeline.
If you would like to read this story, have access to my entire archive (over 1,100 pieces) and get the next month of my writing included, click “read more” for your choices.
If you’ve been wondering why my Media Solutions Lab is worth attending, read articles like this and realize that radio people cannot get too much intelligence on the emerging media business. My Media Solutions Lab is January 27th. Preview the program, search for hotels and get a pre-conference discount by clicking here.